by Donna O'Toole
This informative book by Donna O'Toole gets straight to the heart of its title. It helps teens understand their losses and discover creative coping strategies to deal with them. Facing Change is unique in that all kinds of losses experienced by teenagers are listed and validated. As the author suggests, no one but the person experiencing a loss can ever know just what unique meaning and importance any particular loss holds.
- Recognizing and Understanding Loss,
- Common Ways Loss Is Experienced,
- Creative Coping Choices,
- Charting, Finding and Using A Support 'System,'
- Things You Can Do To Help Yourself Through Grief,
- Finding and Using Help From Others,
- Bouncing Back - The Art of Growing Through Grief,
- Resiliency - The Art of Grieving and Growing,
- Coping Strategies That Work,
- 75 Ways To Help Yourself,
- How to Know You're Making Progress.
Praise for Facing Change...
''Facing Change has enormous potential for reaching adolescents and for helping them to understand loss and grief. It is a wise and practical book; one that explains our universal condition simply and adds quotes and poetry to touch the heart as well as the intellect. It invites young people to become involved through exercises and gives specific guidance in coping with grief. This helpful book should be in every school library and on every counselor's shelf.'' Judy Stillion, PhD. Institute for College & University Teaching, WCU
Paperback, 48 pages